Report: Wire comeback too strong for young FC

Embed from Getty Images

Warrington Wolves 30-12 Hull FC

Despite trailing to nil at half time, a dominant second half performance from Warrington saw them prevail 30-12 at home to Hull FC.

An Airlie Birds team bereft of stars and experience stunned their hosts and were 12-0 up within the first fifteen minutes at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. Their first try was scored by stand in centre Dean Hadley who crossed in the right channel before Mickey Paea pouched a short pass from Danny Houghton to crash in underneath the sticks. Jake Connor converted both and the score remained the same until shortly after half time.

That, however, didn’t mean there wasn’t action or controversy. While Wire struggled their way through the first half with an appallingly low completion rate as well as conceding many silly penalties, the 38th minute saw the first real flash point of the contest. In the tackle, Wolves captain Chris Hill seemed to force his forearm into the head and face of the Airlie Bird’s effervescent Hakim Miloudi. A scuffle broke out as a result and Hill made a complaint to the referee, Gareth Hewer, that the FC back had bitten him. The incident was put on report but, despite no sanction being handed out there and then, it seemed to light a fire in Warrington.

Just over ten minutes into the second half, the hosts were level in the contest following tries from Sky Sports’ Man of the Match Harvey Livett and Kevin Brown, the former converting both. Ben Murdoch-Masila then made a scoring impact after being denied twice, barrelling his way over from dummy half to give his team the lead for the first time on the night. Wire were truly dominant at this point as Hull FC’s inexperience caught up with them. They pulled further ahead as the ball was worked out to the right flank with brilliant handling to find Josh Charnley in acres of space, crossing for yet another Super League try. Livett continued his 100% record with the boot – in the absence of Bryson Goodwin – and the score was 24-12.

As the game approached the seventy-minute mark, Declan Patton claimed a try only for the video referee to agree with Hewer’s on-field call of no try. Shortly after, though, Ryan Atkins would further add to Warrington’s lead as the hosts’ dominance continued. Livett converted but was denied a further try to his personal tally of fourteen points for a push on Danny Washbrook close to the line but it didn’t stop the Wolves strengthened their hold on third place in the Super League table.

Warrington Wolves line up: Ratchford, Lineham, M Brown, Atkins, Charnley, K Brown, Roberts, Hill, Clark, Murdoch-Masila, Livett, Hughes, Westwood

Interchanges: Patton, Philbin, King, Pomeroy

Hull FC line up: Shaul, Miloudi, Scott, Hadley, Logan, Connor, Harris, Paea, Houghton, Green, Manu, Minichiello, Westerman

Interchanges: Washbrook, Fash, Lane, Matongo

One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s